by Eileen Hull
Although I don't do a lot of sewing, I have a problem getting out of fabric stores without buying a couple of yards to have "on hand." A yard of fabric these days is an investment at $7 to $10! So I have come up with a solution that saves me a lot of money. If I am buying a piece of fabric "on spec" (without a specific project in mind), the purchase must be limited to a fat quarter (piece measuring about 18" x 22"). This is still big enough to create with, and often I am able to get coordinating prints without spending a fortune. Today's project is a ScoreBoards Memo Holder that has been covered with fabric and embellished very simply. These may be made quickly and are great for assembly-line production when you need a custom favor for a large group or event.
You will need:
- Sizzix Big Shot Machine
- Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die – Memo Holder
- Little Sizzles Mat Board (6" x 13")
- Fabric, 6" x 13"
- Krylon spray adhesive
- Coordinating button
- Hairband (package of 20 found in dollar store)
- 20" length of ribbon
- Coat piece of mat board with spray adhesive. Lay fabric on top and smooth over mat board, easing out bubbles and wrinkles.
- Lay mat board on die, fabric side facing. When I am cutting mat board and fabric covering, I usually run the board through twice to make sure that all layers are cut cleanly.
- If the piece will get a lot of handling, I take a dab of white glue on one of my fingers and smooth it over all of the fabric edges to ensure that they do not unravel.
- With the set of three flowers that were also cut out with the memo pad, stack and glue together, adding a button as the center of the smallest flower.
- Thread ribbon through cutout slits on flap and adhere the two ends to the inside flap for handle.
- Stretch hairband over the front of the pad and close flap. Glue flower embellishment to hairband. Slide hairband up to cover flap and front cover. Simply slide elastic down when you want to access notes.
These would be great for a kid's party, bridal or baby shower, wedding or fun "just because" gifts to keep on hand. Keep a pile on your desk, one in your purse and one for the car. Why not make up a batch and build up your stash?
Monday, April 5, is the last day to vote for your favorite version of the brand new Scallop Box die featured on our ScoreBoards Blog Hop: www.eileenhull.blogspot.com. Make sure to vote before 6 PM EDT. If you leave a comment on any of the participating designers' blogs, you will be eligible to win a ScoreBoards die! Tune in to Cool2Craft: http://apps.facebook.com/cooltocraft/ on Monday, April 5 at noon, where I will show the next featured die (HINT – item usually made of china, not paper) and talk about the challenge our designers will be working with this time.
Hope you are all having a beautiful spring and enjoying the warmer weather!
From my (hyacinth-scented) studio to yours,